Diabetes management can be safely transferred to practice nurses
- University of Melbourne, Carlton, Victoria, Australia
- Correspondence to: Doris Young
University of Melbourne, 200 Berkeley Street, Carlton, VIC 3053, Australia;
Implications for nursing practice
▪ Practice nurses (PNs) following protocols provide as effective care for patients with type 2 diabetes as general practitioners (GPs).
▪ Patients are more satisfied with PNs helping them with diabetes management compared with GPs.
Implications for nursing research
▪ Further large-scale studies need to be conducted to trial models of care delivered by PNs in this context as well as more generally.
▪ Economic analyses need to be performed to ascertain the comparative cost-effectiveness of the two models of care.
▪ Qualitative and observational studies would provide further …