A characterisation of factors determining postoperative ileus after laparoscopic colectomy enables the generation of a novel predictive score
- Nursing Department, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas, USA
- Correspondence to: Annette Bisanz
26 Grants Lake Circle, Sugar Land, TX 77479, USA;
List the implications for nursing practice of this research
▪ Allows the identification of patients at risk for postoperative ileus (POI).
▪ Predictive information combined with evidence from the WHO provides guidelines to prevent POI.
▪ Improved preventive care can decrease the cost and length of hospital stays.
▪ Nurses can advocate for preventive measures even though they do not have prescriptive authority.
List the implications for nursing research in the light of this study
▪ Nurses can translate this information into their standard of care.
▪ Inspires nurses to get involved in the research process in order to contribute to the solution of POI.
The aim of Kronberg's study was to investigate preoperative, intraoperative and postoperative risk factors associated with the development of POI in patients having …