Statistics from Altmetric.com
Commentary on: Mayberry LS, Osborn CY. Family support, medication adherence, and glycemic control among adults with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care 2012;35:1239–45.
Implications for practice and research
Understanding the family dynamics is crucial to improve diabetes management.
Family members can both support and sabotage the patient's self-management efforts.
Adults with type 2 diabetes see their physician more often than most other patients. National survey data indicate that the typical patient with diabetes will have seven to nine appointments in a year with their primary provider and additional visits with specialists, nurses and educators.1 Added together over the course of a year clinical care interactions represent <1% of an individual's daily life. For the other 99% of the time, people must self-manage their disease within the context of their families, workplaces and communities. …
If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.