A characterisation of factors determining postoperative ileus after laparoscopic colectomy enables the generation of a novel predictive score
- Nursing Department, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas, USA
- Correspondence to Annette Bisanz
26 Grants Lake Circle, Sugar Land, TX 77479, USA;
List the implications for nursing practice of this research
▪ Allows the identification of patients at risk for postoperative ileus (POI).
▪ Predictive information combined with evidence from the WHO provides guidelines to prevent POI.
▪ Improved preventive care can decrease the cost and length of hospital stays.
▪ Nurses can advocate for preventive measures even though they do not have prescriptive authority.
List the implications for nursing research in the light of this study
▪ Nurses can translate this information into their standard of care.
▪ Inspires nurses to get involved in the research process …