Statistics from Altmetric.com
Implications for nursing practice and research
▪ Physical activity (PA), exercise performance and counselling require demonstration, supervision and support similar to other self-management behaviour for day-to-day chronic illness management.
▪ Structured individual PA counselling should acknowledge the benefit and importance of occupational, home, leisure time and commuting PA.
▪ Healthcare providers and settings should consider partnering with fitness centres/exercise facilities for structured, supervised exercise interventions for chronic illness prevention and management.
▪ Further research is needed to develop and utilise more objective measures of PA than self-report accounts. Programmable pedometers or accelerometers for non-supervised PA, in combination with supervised PA training, may be options for further research to more accurately account for total PA.
▪ Electronic PA metres should be studied for non-supervised PA in combination with structured individual exercise counselling to determine feasibility and efficacy.
Diabetes and its related complications continue to be a global health concern. More than 285 million individuals worldwide have diabetes; a number that is growing due …
If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.